Monday, January 2, 2012

We're Not Making A Movie...

By Amy Baranski

...or writing a screenplay for that matter. It's just the farthest thing from what I want to do with my time this month, and luckily Melissa agrees. So with no apologies we're changing January's activity too...

Well you'll have to wait a few more hours to see.

Back story: writing a screenplay/make a movie was one of the six items I chose for 2011. It wasn't really something I was interested in and frankly I'm not sure why I put it on the list.

Changing things has been a bit of a theme this year. I had two other activities that I chose for 2011 that we changed. The first was changed before we announced our annual list on the blog. I chose canning as an activity, it was something I'd never done before, but because Melissa picked urban homesteading and felt that canning was a subset of the other we picked karaoke (I agreed obvs.). We pulled karaoke from Melissa's original list. It wasn't a new thing for me, as I spent a lot of time in my early 20s at Bush Gardens and other karaoke places. But it sounded fun. And by gosh did I spend a lot of time blogging about it. [CANNED LAUGHTER]

The second change was October, which was supposed to be make your own wine or beer month. We opted out of that because even though September was urban homesteading it easily could have been drink as much wine and beer as you can month. So, October turned into run a mile every day -- I'm not sure where that idea came from. I liked that month--it was inexpensive and achievable.

Anyway this is all to say that's it's totally OK to change course on a project and introduce something new.

I like that we have flexibility around these things. But it has taught me to put more effort into choosing what six things I want to try for 2012. Part of the reason we changed things up is either because of over doing it the month before (scheduling/timing) and or expense (investing in required equipment/classes). With a lot of new things on the horizon in 2012, and with my New Year's resolution mantra: work faster I want to have more thought and intention into how I'm spending my time.

Stay tuned for the January announcement coming to this blog in just a few hours.

No comments: