Monday, January 2, 2012

From Carnival to Healthival!

At the Rock Box 12/30
posted by Melissa Baumgart
During a family movie night watching Rio, which takes place in Rio De Janeiro during Carnival, I realized that I have been living quite the Carnival lifestyle.  What with karaoke and the Holidays, life has been one big party.  Somewhere between the main character, Blue, preferring a flightless life as a pet and his triumphant last ditch attempt to save his love, Jewel, by spreading his wings and finally taking flight a new inspiration took me over.  Healthival!

Healthival is like Carnival for the mind, body and spirit.  Whereas the Carnival mentality can make it a bit easier to sing karaoke in front of a bar full of people (like I did on Friday night at the Rock Box) the Healthival mentality can get you totally jazzed about cutting out wheat, dairy and sugar!  And in the same way the Carnival lifestyle can get a fun New Year's Eve party rolling, the Healthival lifestyle get you pumped up to get in some exercise everyday.

My pendulum swings pretty far, from one extreme to another.  I used to judge myself for this, but in 2012, I am going to hang on to that pendulum and enjoy the ride.  Maybe if I don't fight the momentum I might end up in a new and amazing place.

And like Amy, 2012 is also bringing with it a theme for me this year.  The idea is "behind the scenes maintenance", which I have to admit is not very exciting.  But nonetheless, it must happen.  I heard the voice of the innermost knowing part of myself and this is what I need, like it or not.  It involves things like getting my teeth taken care of (we have not had insurance forever, and my own dental care is something that constantly gets pushed to the back burner, unfortunately), getting the car a check-up and changing filters and belts and such, and taking care of my body and mind as cited by the Healthival paragraphs.  All things that culminate in a delayed gratification, or perhaps gratification that never actualizes, but offers some sense of security and self-reliance.

As I reach 40 this year, I can feel my body needing more care and attention.  My strong constitution is yielding a bit, and maybe it is due to age, or maybe it is due to me taking it for granted for so long.  Either way, I have some physical squawks (nothing major, don't worry) that are getting louder and diet and exercise with a little herbal support is what I believe is the best way to take care of myself.  As an added bonus, I hope to also get back into shape and feel good about my body by my birthday in September.

I am also starting back to school again!  Finally.  I took it all into my own hands and figured out a payment plan, switched a couple classes to another campus and made it happen.  I'll find out at the end of this month if I get into the nurse midwifery program, but even if I do not, I'll finish out this quarter and decide then what my next step will be.
The Baumgarts, New Year's Day 2012

Delayed gratification, behind the scenes maintenance and Healthival!  Here's to 2102!
And for real, Wish me luck with this!
Melissa




2 comments:

Bob Redmond said...

Levi looks like a Zombie in that photo, and I mean that as a terrific compliment. Good job Levi!

And I love the "Healthival" word...interestingly, the word "carnival" comes from a festival that took place the last three days before Lent. In Lent, catholics will know, people aren't supposed to eat meat, thus "carne (meat) + vale (lift up/remove/put away)." One might also think that by "put away" the Italians meant "sock away" because they would of course gorge themselves for three days of Carnivale.

On the other hand, the very origins of the word DO mean "stop eating meat" and in that sense Healthival is a perfect complement. Plus, it's a lot more fun than "Lent."

Melissa Baumgart said...

Thanks, Bob! Not being catholic, it was nice to read about the carne-vale thing. I hope that doesn't mean I am lifting away my health, though! Maybe just lifting away a few bad habits ;)