Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beginner Mind

Posted by Melissa Baumgart

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few. 
-Shunryu Suzuki 


Today I completed day four of the water aerobics and Bikram yoga week.  A week of ME time, since I am off of school and my kids are all in school!  A week of taking care of myself by jump starting my weight loss goal with a five day physical fitness regimen that my body has not seen the likes of in quite some time.

I am pleased to say that yoga has been a joy.  The last time I tried to go back after a hiatus, my body couldn't do certain things.  I couldn't grab the back of my heels in the Pada-Hasthasana part of the half-moon series.  I couldn't hold onto my knee during the final spinal twist.  This time around, I can do all these things again, and it feels great!  The shocker is still the fact that in Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose, my head is so far from touching the floor.  When I was doing my thirty day challenges, I remember the day I finally touched my head to the floor, and now I have so far to go...again.

It is a good reminder.  In life, we often have to start over at something.  Or simply start something new, and we find ourselves in that beginner role again.  Don't forget that being a beginner has a beauty too.  Steve Jobs had a thought provoking quote on being a beginner, he says, “I didn’t see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.” – Steve Jobs

What can come from being a beginner again in my life?  In your life?  I just want to make sure that I can feel that lightness of being, and not the critical voice of wishing I were already in a more advanced place.  Wishing I were in a place that I am not.  Maybe if we can remember that we are right where we need to be - no matter how far our head is from the floor at yoga class, or what job we lose, or what weight we are - maybe then we can touch that creativity that nourishes us to reach our goals and beyond.

So, for now, if you are a beginner at something...breathe, right where you are.  Exhale and know it will all be OK.

Learning to be right where I am is an ongoing lesson.  Thanks for all your inspiration along the way.

-Melissa  

No comments: