Saturday, March 31, 2012

Everyday Pool People

Posted by Amy Baranski
People are important. Who you see everyday, who you talk to, who rides the bus with you - you get the picture. Looking back on a relatively consistent month of going to the pool 4-5 days out of each week I feel that I've become a regular at Medgar Evers.

I'm relaxed going to the pool, checking in, and swimming. I now know a woman from class named Sally, and we chat. She has a cute hair cut and is super friendly. I know another girl named Shondralee (I think) she's newer than me and doesn't talk a lot but says "hi'. I know that one of my favorite Aqua Jog instructors went to Lincoln High School in Portland Oregon, and I  know that my other favorite instructor has two children of his own. I like seeing the familiar faces in class; it's an odd and interesting group of people. It's definitely a group of people I wouldn't mind being stranded with during a disaster. 

There was a time in my life where I was a regular at other establishments...don't get me wrong those were fun times...but I enjoy most the community of everyday people at the pool or other fitness-focused places. Since I'm not going to the Sweatbox during my pregnancy I miss seeing my everyday people there. Especially my yoga teachers Laura, Gary, and Franny who really helped shape my well-being. I can't wait to see them again post-birth. I miss the everyday faces of the regulars at the Sweatbox--although I couldn't tell you many of their names but I could tell you the tall gal in the front of class with tattoos all over is really amazing at standing bow.

Anyway, one of the unexpected delights of this month has been meeting a new set of people in Seattle. It gives me a different perspective on this town, and new perspectives are good. It's important to have regulars but it's also important to meet new people and keep it fresh. Stepping out of my comfort zone and trying water aerobics and lap swim for the first time helped give me a new perspective on people and this town. I look forward to spending the rest of my pregnancy with the pool people and getting to know them better. I can't wait to dive back in on Monday. What a great month!