Sunday, April 7, 2013

Paleo progress

Posted by Amy Baranski

Paleo Pic #4

I started today feeling really excited about going 100% Paleo. Somewhere between 11am and 1pm I lost that enthusiasm (see cupcake and cup of coffee). Today was certainly not purely Paleo. But I hope that the rest of my meals made up for my daily transgression.

A few things I've started to notice since documenting all of my meals:
  • I need more greens
  • I need more water
  • I need to have at least 2 of my 3 main meals of the day prepared the day before
Melissa also suggested I take in more calories (especially because I'm nursing). Today I did. I had an extra helping of fruit, the cupcake, and two helpings of the stir-fry I made for dinner. I also added in a bowl of Paleo granola to close out the day. I feel a lot more satiated.

I'm also observing that I start the day off strong and then I nose dive around lunch. Nap time also happens around lunch. When I put my son down I'll often nap with him (luxury!). Other times I use the hour to tidy up or work in my office. I hardly think about making lunch--that hour is so precious. On top of that Babeski has been on fire lately with gross motor skill development. I've been helping him explore the house and his body without injury during our play times. The kid is crafty. He used an empty cooler today as a walker--pushing it in front of him...ambling from the living room to the dining room. Once he made it near the coffee table he cruised from the cooler to the coffee table and b-lined for my computer which I absentmindedly left out (the motivating force behind his entire odyssey). It's so amazing watching how he lifts each foot and leg with intention!

I digress.

Today during lunch my little family trekked to Wallingford on an errand and we found ourselves near Trophy Cupcakes. End of story.

I can fix this issue with a little planning. I need to have a quick lunch handy in the fridge--something I can eat on the go if needed. Easy things I can think of:
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Salad
  • Fruit washed, cut, and organized into serving portions
  • Paleo granola*
  • Smoked salmon
  • Leftovers
*I found some info online about making Paleo granola. At it's simplest it's an assortment of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit served in almond milk. Recipe(s) will be forthcoming.

Until then...

1 comment:

Melissa Baumgart said...

I say take it easy, and forget the organizing into serving sizes...just eat. ;)