Friday, July 1, 2011

This Is Just to Say

Backwards, and fierce.
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


-William Carlos Williams, 1934

And also to say, it's July!  Memorize a poem month for me and Amy.  We capped off Bowling month with a final trip to Imperial Lanes last night.  We took the kids, Poo Poo Head was there and joined us for a couple games, and I bowled a turkey straight out of the gate.  It was a banner evening of bowling.

We spent way too much time trying to fit a free table we found on the corner into my kitchen.  It was so cute and retro, but after many attempts and cleaning behind appliances, it just never worked.  Upon our home improvement defeat, Amy was saying her goodbyes when we realized that we had not taken our picture for this month.

She came back in and we got to work.  We were inspired by a poem by Ogden Nash titled, "Reflections on Ice-Breaking."  It goes a little something like this:

Candy is dandy
but Liquor is quicker.

I have to say, it was a fun night.  It felt like the Holidays all over again.  Laughter and good tidings.  and one of our best monthly photo shoots yet.

I picked up a Norton Anthology of Poetry from Seattle Central yesterday.  I am hoping that I don't "lose' it like I did the mushroom book in April.  I had to buy the library a new copy and then I found this one in a bag in Tallulah's room.  Now I have this gem to commemorate Mushroom month.  Really? a tux and a horn and you're foraging for mushrooms?  What?

Yesterday, instead of reading my Anatomy & Physiology, I leafed through the poetry anthology.  Reading certain poems aloud in hopes to find one that "felt" right.  My kids thought I was crazy.  When don't they?  But I do think I found a few good ones.  Poems I remember from my undergrad.  Auden, WCW, DH Lawrence, TS Eliot.

Then, Amy introduced me to Dorothy Parker.  Amazing.  I'll save that one for tomorrow.

Until then,
Adieu

-Melissa

4 comments:

Niko said...

self waiting in sunshine,
clouds of ego leeching the Life
the decision can be made
no questions, just actions
inside the orb awaits

choose

Melissa Baumgart said...

nice one, Niko!

Anonymous said...

I saw you two need to go into the greeting card business! Each photo you bring to the blog in someway is a perfect greeting card! I'd buy them for sure :) This is delightful in so many wonderful ways. ART! Hugs, MOM

Melissa Baumgart said...

Haha! thanks, Mom. That could be fun, a nice little side job. We totally had a great time doing the photo shoot. It felt good to be creative. Markers and scissors and construction paper.
xoxomelissa