Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Reading the Alchemist

Posted by Amy Baranski
It's 11:59 and I just finished my third book of the month, The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. What a wonderful transformative novella. How could I have passed it up all these years? I suppose I thought I knew the answer already.
As if a book must contain an answer.

This whole time I've been missing the simple pleasure of the text between its covers. How presumptuous to think I'd already know the moral of the story. How naive to think there would be nothing for me in this book.  But after having turned its final page I'm compelled to blissfully smile at my original prejudices. It's almost painful to say life is a journey, but Tom Cochrane was on something...break down the garden gate there's not much time left today ...

Santiago, our protagonist, sets out on a quest to see the world. As Cochrane might say "sometimes he bends, sometimes he stands, sometimes he turns his back to the wind." This story contains longing, existential angst, love, loss, danger, and triumph of the human spirit. Magical forces abound leading Santiago, our lovable and young Andalusian shepherd to Tangiers and across the desserts to the great pyramid at Giza. To say the least it's an interesting journey to take with him. I highly recommend it. Read it at night to your kids! I know I will with mine. 

Okay, now I have to shut eye.

-xo-


2 comments:

Cassandra said...

"This story contains longing, existential angst, love, loss, danger, and triumph of the human spirit."

Sounds awesome! I love the illustration in your copy.

Bob Redmond said...

Uh-oh, another book for the "to read" list! If you still have it, can you put it on my shelf now? xoxox