Monday, March 25, 2013

Bizzaro World

Posted by Melissa Baumgart
Couch and blanket.
I went to a Barre 3 class the other day.  Honestly, this was my thought during class, "Why do these women pay someone to torture them all for the sake of vanity?"  It just seemed so bizarre to in a room with a bunch of wealthy white ladies, being told to hold poses and thank the Universe, sprinkled with reminders that we wouldn't die.  I also think a similar thought in the gym too.  All of us driving to the gym, only to sweat our asses off next to complete strangers on machines plugged into the wall.  It just seems so strange to me. 

I don't get the same thing for running, or for yoga, actually.  Running feels free and easy, and it's outside.  Yoga has tradition and a belief system ingrained into every pose.

Am I missing something?  Or is it just that we live in a bizarre world where people spend more time and energy getting thin than they do on solving, oh, I don't know, say...hunger and violence.  Don't think I'm special, I haven't spent time doing anything today but watching Family Guy and Silent Library with my tween.  I'm not solving anything.  Or getting any thinner.

No comments: