Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I think of u as the letter writing type

If I were here today, I'd write you all a postcard!  Promise!
Posted by Melissa Baumgart
I didn't mean to come across as a letter-writing-hater.  I have just come to be such a texter and emailer, so much so in fact, that I bemoan even a phone call most of the time. It's just another quality I have added to the "things that suck about me" category.  The list that started sometime before I can recall anything that isn't documented in a family photo book...and that continues to grow.

Actually, when I really think about it, I don't mind moving on with the times.  Just because other people think we should be more like we used to doesn't mean that any of us are right or wrong.  Maybe during "Self Care" month I'll take a long critical look at that list and re-frame the whole thing.  Or better yet, I could re-sytle it during "Styling" month even sooner.

I got a FB message from an old friend yesterday.  A friend that I probably would never call, but love to find the occasional message pop up.  It's not that I don't like her, it's just the phone.  Here's what she had to say:
Hi Melissa, I'm surprised at your dislike of letter writing. Of course I don't know you in these days and times, but in general I think of u as the letter writing type. I have a little stack of letters from you from various points in our journey together and always thought they were nicely written. Maybe it's your swirly writing that makes them seem so effortless. Anyhow, I am enjoying your blog as always. Be well.
I can't believe she still has all my letters.  I never save anything.  I read cards and they go directly in the recycling.  That being said, from the outsider looking into a savers point of view, it was interesting to hear that although I was beating myself up for not being a letter-writer, someone else has a completely different idea.

Who knows what the world thinks of us.  Why not think the best of ourselves?

Easier said than done, for sure.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Easier said than done for sure.

I'm not much of a letter writer either, though I want to. And I despise phones. I think it's mainly that I want to respond to someone in my own time instead of feeling forced to accept an incoming phone call. Is that horrible?