Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reciting, If, seated on a bus

posted by Melissa
I did it!  We recited our memorized poems on the Seattle Metro bus. 

We had a lovely dinner at home with friends and family, added in a little wine for courage.  Ok, and a little sissy rum.  (That's what I endearingly called Amy's coconut rum)  Then we walked up to the Safeway and got on the 43 for a ride downtown.  

I was so nervous.   And I think it shows.  But I am proud of myself for following through, and doing something that scared the shit out of me.  I forgot a couple lines toward the end, but I am ok with that.  I must say, though, it is painful to watch oneself on video.  Just awful.  

"Why do I stick my chin out like that when I think?"

"Um, make sure no one ever has to look at me from that angle."

"Does my voice really sound like that?  And pull my damn shirt up over my shoulder, did I think I was on Flashdance?"

These are a few of the many thoughts I had while watching myself.  But I am posting it anyway, and you know what?  It is completely liberating.  I think my poem would like that.



There you have it.  Me, just as I am, reciting "If" by Rudyard Kipling.  

-Melissa

4 comments:

Niko said...

congrats!

Melissa Baumgart said...

Thanks, Nicholas!

Anonymous said...

I loved it :) the added noise of the bus ride, for me added to your words, so real.....beautifully done! You DID it! YEAH... You must feel so good about it. Love you, Mom

Melissa Baumgart said...

Thanks, Mom! I do feel so good about it. Maybe I'll still remember it when you get here. :)