On a much smaller scale than Melissa's AWESOME tufted headboard DIY project I just made a cork snake.
What's that you say? A cork snake--a toy snake made out of old wine corks. It'd make a great homemade gift for a 4-year old child or older. It's not too hard to make either!
Cork is such a wonderful material it feels wrong to throw away all those wine bottle stoppers. Trivets, cork boards, and other fun doodads can be made from this lovely reused material. I happened upon this sweet up-cycled DIY toy on Domestic Candy--a cute blog out of Germany.
Simple instructions to make your own cork snake:
- Cut 10 corks into quarters.
- Drill holes through the cork pieces.
- Thread thick string through a needle and string the cork.
- Tie a knot between each cork piece.
- Take a cork for the head and shave it into a desired shape; cut out a mouth.
- Take the longest needle you have and pull the string through the drilled hole.
- Tie a final knot; leave a little string hanging out of the mouth as the tongue.
- Draw eyes on with a sharpie.